keyboard input trouble

I just tried to setup X on a NetBSD-current/amd64 box with source from
this morning.

I have a PS2 keyboard connected, but no characters appear, neither in the
xterm started with startx, nor in the login prompt.

Along the way with many tests, I did see some characters, and it looked
just like what you would expect if getty were running on the same terminal,
but:

:0 local /usr/X11R7/bin/X -nolisten tcp :0 vt08

is in /usr/X11/xdm/Xservers, and in /etc/ttys there is:

tty07   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

Along the way I also had many

pckbport: command timeout
pms_disable: command error
pckbport: command timeout
pms_enable: command error 35

annoyances - you have to wait for X to reset the keyboard when that happens,
but those went away after disabling legacy USB compatibility in the BIOS.

I also rm -rf /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb and sh build.sh -E build just in case.

The keyboard works fine without X, and
  pckbc1 at acpi0 (PS2K, PNP0303) (kbd port): io 0x60,0x64 irq 1

I have run out of things to try - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Patrick