Re: no keyboard input visible with xsrc X11 on i386 -current?

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 15:37:10 -0700
Kevin Lahey <kml%patheticgeek.net@localhost> wrote:

> token, I'm kind of perplexed about the what's missing.  I've been
> wrestling with X11 for more years than I'd care to mention, and it just
> keeps getting more complex and weird. :-(

Unfortunately, I share that impression.  Several freedesktop.org
initiatives also seem nice for a certain class of desktop environment
users, but tend to occasionally also add restrictions for expert X11
users: a lot of code goes into trying to allow unprivileged users more
control and to simplify/automate configuration, most of which seems
unnecessary for old X11 users, so we see the new bugs and regressions
more than we enjoy the new features...

I'm glad that DRM/DRI with ATI is now possible with the base-system
alone, though :)
--
Matt