Re: xorg pci probing

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:47:29AM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
> In /var/log/X.org both Radeon devices are enlisted but none has been
> selected as the primary one. X then quits with the message
> "Primary device is not PCI"

I still don't understand what this means, and why it doesn't choose
one of them arbitrarily.

If you edit your config file to select a primary one, it would work?
If you select the other one as primary, would it still work?

> Per discussion with macallen@ I implemented pci_device_is_boot_vga()
> and that works.

Can you please explain why the OS console device is relevant here? You
said it is not about initialization - I don't quite get it.

> > What happens if you boot your machine with a serial console (assuming for
> > the sake of argument it would have a serial port)?
>
> That machine is a laptop and has no serial console.

Yes, but the same situation could happen on a desktop. Assume I would
have such a machine and boot it with serial console. According to your
logic (as far as I understood it so far), I wouldn't be able to use X.
That sucks and would clearly be a serious regression.

I'm sure I'm missing something, so please give more details.

Martin