Re: xorg pci probing

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:26:13PM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a machine with two PCI graphic cards:
> 1x Radeon HD 4200
> 1x Radeon HD 5600
>
> Starting X fails with the error message
> "Primary device is not PCI"
>
> Per discussion with macallen@ I implemented
> pci_device_is_boot_vga() in libpciaccess
> which uses a new ioctl().

Can you please explain what X is trying to tell you with that message
and how "this is the vga device used as console by the os" is related to
the answer? I wonder if the question more should be "this vga device
has been initialized by the firmware already", and maybe your patch only
happens to work on your machine by luck.

What happens if you boot your machine with a serial console (assuming for
the sake of argument it would have a serial port)?

Martin