Re: xf86-video-intel query

Brad du Plessis <bradd <at> cat.co.za> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get X working with the xf86-video-intel driver on my new
> Intel mini-ITX motherboard (Intel D410PT) on netbsd-5. What I've done so
> far involves fiddling in sys/dev/pci to get the kernel to recognise the
> IGD. See dmesg below.
>
> xf86-video-vesa 2.3.0 works no problem. I then tried intel 2.9.1 which
> doesn't officially support the Pineview device and X started up but all
> I got was a blank screen. I can see from the monitor's own menu that it
> had correctly set the resolution and remotely via a telnet session I
> could query and alter the resolution with xrandr. Couldn't do anything
> to cure the blackness though.
>
> At this point I assumed the intel driver to be the problem so I updated
> to intel 2.10.0 and now X wouldn't start at all. I assume the critical
> error was the one about "No kernel modesetting driver detected."
>
> Any pointers as to how I can get this working would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>   Brad

Hi Brad,

I think that "..modesettings..." is specific to Linux kernel (so called KMS, so
kernel itself sets the proper resolution of the display etc etc). And IMO this
code in intel driver should be removed in case of NetBSD. But I think you have
to wait till some developer will have a look into that.

Anyway you are right, the "...modesettings..." does the error.

Good luck !

Piotr.

P.S.

I think you use Xorg shipped within NetBSD sets. Are you able to compile Xorg
from pkgsrc and see if you have the same problems. Did you mixed pkgsrc intel
driver with distribution Xorg?