re: (EE) Error compiling keymap

[ quoting my previous mail on this subject; i'm hoping to have a fix
  for this in place in postinstall soon, and maybe a check in rc.d/xdm ]

this is probably the xkbdata -> xkeyboard-config upgrade issue.
we haven't yet implemented a real fix to help this upgrade as it
involves deleting an old subdir before extracting xbase.tgz.  the
simple workaround is to do this:

        # rm -rf /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
        # pax -rzpe -f xbase.tgz ./usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc