Re: Makefiles for xorg

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 05:39:37PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >>
> >> I might try to write some stuff down later, but right now my priority
> >> is to have the stuff working.  It's really not that complicate to get,
> >> provided you have experience with other similar parts of our source
> >> tree.
>
> >If you do have time later, please do write some of it down.
> >
> >When things are undocumented, even if it only makes it a little bit
> >harder to fix things, that will often reduce the chances that people
> >will fix things on their own. Little barriers to understanding can
> >be enough to make people avoid doing stuff.
> >
> >As an aside, I think one of the positive things that distinguishes BSD
> >and NetBSD in particular is the obsession with being thoroughly
> >documented. It makes it much easier for people to get up to speed
> >quickly.
>
> I think that what is needed is to document what can go wrong when
> adding new stuff.
>
> I was able to work out fairly quickly what I thought was needed in
> the different Makefiles, I just can't get some of them to work.

I know the feeling.  I've run my share of make -d A/ktrace make already.
For instance, in the Makefiles for the DRI modules, I can't allow using
.PATH because the targets are evaluated immediately by make, so I had to
use a variable later added to .PATH so that the Makefile of a module
only had to include one Makefile to just work.  Maybe I should document
that :)

This is my main gripe with make, especially for pkgsrc development.
It's hard to tell exactly when expressions will be evaluated.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost