Subject: Re: Radeon 9200 revisited.
To: Ryo HAYASAKA <ryoh@m3.dion.ne.jp>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/30/2004 03:21:45
Re. http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-x11/2004/01/30/0000.html

Thanks for the information.

The "radeon" driver completely failed for me until I stuck in a fake
Chipid (thanks to the suggestion of someone off-list).  At least, that
was true the last time that I tried it (which was, I believe, with in-tree
xsrc).

I am currently running on the XFree86 Dec. 18 snapshot (4.4_RC2, I believe),
downloaded from www.XFree86.org and built locally.  Things are actually
a lot better now than they've ever been, except that glxgears is still running
at half-speed.  I'm considering reverting to the Nov. 10 snapshot, which I
have on a CD.  (Well, NetBSD's snapshot; just the X sets; the rest of the system
seems okay, at the moment.)

It may be significant that I'm using a 9200SE.

My  console does not go to black when I exit, though the color is randomized,
it seems.  (E.g., yellow primary text, and red kernel messages, instead of
white and green, is one combination that I saw.)

Since I more or less know how I got here, I may experiment a bit more.  Though
at the moment I have another small crisis that revolves around MesaLib: The
libGL that ships with XFree86 works fine as near as I can tell.  If I install
MesaLib from pkgsrc on top of the 4.4_RC2, however, I tend to get coredumps
in some(!) programs when they call glColor*().

Previously, I was using at turns Mesa from pkgsrc or XFree86---but I do not
know if I ever had Mesa 6.x installed until recently.  (I have also only
tested on NetBSD/amd64; the issues may go away on NetBSD/i386.)

I'll spare you the details unless you ask, since this seems to be most likely
a Mesa issue.  SourceForge.net seems to be having trouble, but I'll try again to
post to the Mesa project later.