Re: MLINKS for hoststat.8 purgestat.8 to mailwrapper.8?

> See src/usr.sbin/mailwrapper
> symlinks for hoststat and purgestat to mailwrapper
> [...]
> mailq and newaliases are mentioned in the manpages but not hoststat
> and purgestat.

My guess is, because the latter are specific to a particular mailer.
mailq and newaliases date back to sendmail (or further); many more
recent MTAs provide similar functionality under those names for the
sake of compatibility (mostly, I suspect, with humans).

hoststat and purgestat are not.  I don't know what they do, and I don't
know whether modern sendmail (if there is such a thing - I'm so out of
touch with MTAs these days that I don't even know that) provides them.
But they definitely are more recent and, probably, less universal.
While I'm not qualified to speak with any authority on the matter, I
would guess that those links are shipped because the shipped mailer
provides them.

> default etc/mailer.conf does not have them

Not surprising.  It would make sense to provide links for only those
things that most common mailers provide.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign