Re: tolower()/islower() and char

>> [Y]ou just need to choose a value for EOF that is out of range for
>> signed char.
> I recall there being some debate about whether it's actually legal
> for EOF to have any value other than -1.

Curious.  Do you recall the basis for such a position?

I don't have any POSIX reference, and my C reference is for C99.  But I
don't see anything there that would prohibit making EOF something like,
for example, -256.  It needs to be "an integer constant expression,
with type int and a negative value", but I don't see any particular
constraint beyond that.  Are more recent C versions more restrictive,
or is this a POSIX thing, or is it an interaction of multiple pieces,
or what?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign