Re: POSIX proposal: make and "pattern matching" rules

    Date:        Thu, 3 Dec 2020 21:46:40 +0000
    From:        David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost>

  | (and that's without allowing the %'s to match slashes, which is a nice
  | big can of worms in its own right)

Actually, if I correctly understood something sent to the austin list
(or a note added to that issue, I forget which), which isn't really
all that likely, so take this as being speculation, that isn't quite what
they do.  Rather, they match only the basename part against the pattern
I think, ignoring any dirname prefix, and then do some magic so that the
prefix gets used in the appropriate way.   Or something like that.   That's
not quite the % matching slashes (whether that can also happen I have no
idea).

kre