Re: POSIX proposal: make and "pattern matching" rules

    Date:        Thu, 3 Dec 2020 22:59:39 +0100
    From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost>

  | How is this supposed to interact in a sane way with existing make
  | features like .OBJDIR?

If you're asking me, then sorry, no idea - I was just reporting
what I see on the austin list (I should do more of that, but most
of the changes coming are boring and of little interest).

I didn't even realise that our make actually supports pattern
rules (the ancient solaris form) until recently (like more recently
than when I posted that message).

But I doubt that the order in which rules are selected, or which
takes precedence over which other, actually affects the way they
interact with OBJDIRs.   That is, somehow it apparently works now,
and would continue to work, if POSIX decided to require "shortest stem"
matching rather than "first match defined" which is what we do now.

kre