Re: Proposal to remove catman(8)

On 10.11.2020 01:18, Mouse wrote:
>>> [...]
>> It's not a selling point to any regular user, born after A.D. 2000 to
>> optimize reading man pages.
>
> (a) So what?  Neither, I daresay, is, oh, say, fpr, which is still
> present in 9.1....

We might want to see fortran back. I have got no particular opinion on fpr.

We still keep some cruft in src/ that predates... section 9 in man-pages
and was probably never used ever since NetBSD-0.8 (otherwise it could be
adapted). I planned to ask wiz@ to drop that.

> (b) Are those the only people NetBSD cares about?  Or the only people
> you think it should care about, or some such?

Are you a user of NetBSD-current with cat-man? As I read your mail, the
answer is NO. Do you plan to use recent NetBSD (10 or newer) on a
resource restricted computer? As far as I can read it, the answer is NO.

So far no user was witnessed in any target audience and unlikely it will
change over time.