Re: catman (Was: CVS commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles)

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 01:18:25 +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

> On 08.11.2020 23:20, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> > It's (partially) past-tensed, which looks stupid and cripples the
> > joke.
>
> catman has zero to do with current UNIX or any other standard I checked
> (SVID, XPG, POSIX, XNS, SUS, ISO, ANSI). It was a historical utility.

It is perfectly useful thing for someone who would want to keep their
cat pages up to date.  I used to ran catman from weekly.  Yes, this
day most people don't need to, but that doesn't mean we should just
remove cat page support completely.  It looks to me like you are
confusing MKCATPAGES and cat page support in general.

> I've changed it to be relatively accurate for a historical reference to
> Unix/BSD. I object to calling it a current Unix thing and suggesting to
> users that they can find it in section 8.

IT'S AN EFFING JOKE!  Do you understand what jokes are?

> If catman(8) is still delivered somewhere, it is documenting a dead toy.

Says someone who wants to bring window(1) back?

-uwe