Re: colorls in base

In article <20190216102435.GA10691%grapefruit.pr0.tips@localhost>,
Timo Buhrmester  <fstd.lkml%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> All I know is that some directories look like an "explosion in a
>> paint factory" or "angry fruit salad".
>I wonder why the die-hard monochrome users keep arguing from a
>"but it isn't pretty" point of view.  It's not supposed to be pretty,
>it's supposed to augment the information presented.
>
>> The colours convey absolutely no information to me.  I need to use
>> other information to figure out what the colours are trying to tell
>> me.
>And that's fine and how it's supposed to be.  The colors helped drawing
>your attention to it quickly.  I don't think anybody here is arguing
>that colors would directly encode high-level diagnostic information.
>

>To the color-blind people, I get it, it's counter productive for you.
>However I don't get the feeling that anybody is trying to enable
>colors unconditionally, or by default even.  I also have issues with
>the "I can't tell apart colors, so nobody may use colors" mindset.
>
>We shouldn't put up artificial barriers for color-blind people (nor any
>other disability), which in this case would mean "colors, if present,
>shouldn't be enabled by default" (that said, our installer is blue...)
>but that's about the extent of it IMHO.

Yes, what I don't understand (because nobody has stated a technical
reason other than 'fluff'), why we shouldn't we have the feature in base
at all. Nobody proposed to enable it by default. As features become
standard to other OS's we should evaluate if we should follow suit.
Things change over time; we don't go rip out color output compiler
support from the compilers. It is not enabled by default so it is
invisible. So will be having color in some programs in base. It will
be invisible unless you specifically turn it on.

It is not frictionless (and should be but that's another issue) to
"install from pkgsrc" and it's a good question why not have the feature
in base when the majority of the users just install replacements from
pkgsrc because of the lack of features. It is not 1980 anymore and
we don't need to be frugal about resources (specially when they can
be compiled out).

christos