Re: colorls in base

On Feb 15,  4:40pm, hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost (Hauke Fath) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: colorls in base

| At 13:58 Uhr +0000 15.02.2019, Christos Zoulas wrote:
| >In article <2e0ff950-5f64-c807-1fc3-2d4b9e10b1dc%gmail.com@localhost>,
| >Rin Okuyama  <rokuyama.rk%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
| >>OK, I withdraw the proposal.
| >>
| >>Before pointed out by Kamil, I thought it useful to have compatible
| >>with FreeBSD/OS X. But as he wrote, their style is disordered.
| >>
| >>If we redesign it, it would be something like reinventing of GNU ls.
| >>And I understand well those who don't like to import GNUism into base.
| >>
| >>Thank you everyone for your comments, and sorry for the noise.
| >
| >And finally, the expected outcome: The author withdraws because "it is just
| >not worth fighing for it".
|
| Please read it again - that is not what Rin said. In fact, he gave
| technical reasons.

I am not happy with the interaction, not the decision.

| As did I - "relegate fluff to pkgsrc".  ;)

Is coloring the output fluff? Would you feel the same way if someone
added syntax highlighting to vi(1)? Would you find autoconfig errors
in the kernel easier if they were red? Is file completion and command
line editing fluff?

| (I can see where you're coming from. But this here was a case of
| bikesheding, at best.)

Yes, it should have been done in a friendlier way. Shutting people
down does not encourage discussion or change.

christos