Re: deleting telnet/telnetd

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:17:28PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
 > } - PuTTY is nice
 >
 >      PuTTY is a graphical app, and therefore not a replacement for
 > telnet(1).  If there is a way to use it from a command line, please
 > let us know.

As you would know if you'd bothered to look, PuTTY contains its own
telnet protocol implementation that isn't derived from the historic
one.

It would be interesting to know just how many legacy network devices
it's actually been tested against and what fraction of them it works
reliably with.

(However, it does not support flow control, which probably nobody
cares about, or line mode, which various people have announced they
do.)

 >      It's frustrating even when it touches things that one doesn't
 > use.  It's just double frustrating when it touches things that one
 > uses.  The deletionists should go create their own OS (which will
 > be useless due to lack of functionality).

You realize I'm not a deletionist, right?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost