Re: Specifying root device in /etc/fstab

kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) writes:

>Better than what is currently available, perhaps, better than what
>Jared proposed, I doubt, that's full of needless noise, just to
>essentially make something which looks like a double mapping, from
>device into fake wedge label, and then from that back to the
>device - when ail that is needed is a way to fill in the deviice name.

You could easily create a correct fstab from scratch or a template filled
with boot information. But since resizing is done on the still read-only
root filesystem, you need to switch between read-only, read-write and
back to read-only. Something that didn't work in the past and probably
is still not trusted.
I am sure you could also create a procedure that first resizes and then
creates the correct fstab on the second boot. For this use-case no
magic and no extra functionality needs to be added.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost