Remove dhclient(8) from base

On 21/06/2018 14:42, Greg Troxel wrote:
I'm not following this but something seems strange.

Are you really saying that a program that is in /sbin will not work with
/usr not mounted?  That seems quite broken; the whole point of /sbin
being separate from /usr/sbin was always that things would work without
/usr.

So it seems more reasonable to conclude that dhclient must be excluded
from the sanitizer than that it should fail without /usr.

(There's the whole issue of whether ISC dhclient is so big that it
doesn't belong in sbin, switching to dhcpcd, etc., but those are
separate issues.)

Well, lets start this discussion now.
I'm no stranger to courting controvosy here and I've never requested this until now (although others have courted the idea) - lets just remove dhclient from -base. It's already available via pkgsrc.

The release of NetBSD-8 is probably imminent, now is probably the best time to do this.

So if anyone has any really good reasons to keep dhclient around, now is the time to discuss them. I've added and supported every request in dhcpcd that anyone here as ever asked.

Roy