Re: Moving virecover to ~/

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 05:11:45PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> Or, Robert Elz, the rather famous elder of the 'net:

Your point?

Let me make one for you: Yes, this is why he should know better than to
behave like some Linux-lusting teenager looking to leave his mark by
screwing around with long established and functional core utilities.

I'll reiterate to anyone looking to muck about in this way:

  Stop.

You need to think very, VERY hard about the consequences of the
slightest variation in these components.  They are the intersection of
disaster: vital functionality, arcane code, no real test suite, highly
visible in failure, no appreciable benefit.  The risk profile screams
"stay away."

The original "disable virecover by default" is the most responsible,
efficient, and effective suggestion I've heard in this regard.  It's so
obviously the right answer, it never occurred to me to consider anything
else.  But now, we've descended into madness "fixing" a "bug."

Just stop.

--