Re: adding stuff to the base installation to make user experience better

On 06.07.2017 18:06, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Jul 6,  9:34pm, uanand009%gmail.com@localhost (Utkarsh Anand) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: adding stuff to the base installation to make user experience
>
> | Has vi ever worked for anyone (in NetBSD)? At least, for me, the backspace
> | and delete keys never work (this happens only with NetBSD). Would you
> | consider replacing it with nano?
>
> Works just fine :-) I am typing on it right now. What does 'stty -a'
> say on your terminal?
>
> christos

There is 'x' in vi(1) to delete a character. I have problems with
backspace/delete in various types of $EDITOR. In the beginning I was
fixing it with tuning options (wscons, X11 term, customizing editor
properties etc), but I finally I learnt to ignore it.

There was a different purpose of backspace and delete in the past, and
streamlining it will certainly upset someone... like delete was prepared
to enter a debugger and backspace to move cursor one position behind. (I
read mails on NetBSD mailing lists that the win95 behavior is brainwash..).