Re: adding stuff to the base installation to make user experience better

On 6 July 2017 at 08:52, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 11:23:09AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> 1. A text browser in base. "lynx" or "links" come to mind, I don't
>>    mind which, both are GPL2.
>
> No. Seriously, no.

Well, this is 2017, and not having any kind of browser in base is not
super useful.

To Christos's list, I'd add w3m, which is kinda BSD-licensed, other
components of it are not. (Personally, I use lynx, but whatever. I
don't need X11 in the mix).

4. License

  Use, modification and redistribution of this software is hereby granted,
  provided that this entire copyright notice is included on any copies of
  this software and applications and derivations thereof.

  This software is provided on an "as is" basis, without warranty of any
  kind, either expressed or implied, as to any matter including, but not
  limited to warranty of fitness of purpose, or merchantability, or
  results obtained from use of this software.

FWIW, my use case for a text browser is as a man page viewer,
hyperlink jumping is invaluable - have used that since at least 2008.

Best,
Alistair