Re: Shipping SSL certificates in the base system

Distributing mozilla root certs is hardly "TNF takes on the role of a
trusted CA source".

And we need to start thinking laterally here. Certs are necessarily
transitory, and we wish any form of added trust to be enduring over a
period of time.

+ Can we use ssh fingerprints of project machines as part of the
trust-booting procedure, or as a light form of 2FA?
+ Can we ship just a subset of root certs to get, in a trusted way, to
NetBSD.org, and then download (with a bit more assurance than just a
straight HTTP GET request) an updated set of mozilla root certs?
+ Can we ship a full set of root certs, as a bootstrap mechanism to
getting a more up to date set? What is the fallback in this case - no
service?
+ Can we talk have the certs mirrored, and use a number of similar
replies from untrusted sources as a bootstrap mechanism?
+ Do we put all of our eggs in one basket, pin the cert, and then rely
on that being the one true way?
+ How should true revocation be done?
+ root certs which are signed with NetBSD ssh host keys could be an
interesting area of opportunity
+ Everything else I've forgotten