Re: libpthread_dbg removal from base

On 07.02.2017 15:56, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <c534a706-c521-0460-7a6e-9a2ae07044d2%gmx.com@localhost>,
> Kamil Rytarowski  <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> libpthread_dbg(3) is a remnant library from the M:N thread model
>> (pre-NetBSD-5.0) API to introspect threads within a process and for use
>> of a debuggers.
>>
>> Currently in the 1:1 model it's not used in GDB neither in LLDB and it's
>> not either planned to be used. It's current function to read pthread_t
>> structures is realizable within a regular debugger capable to
>> instrospect objects within a tracee (GDB, LLDB...).
>>
>> I'm going to:
>> - detach from GDB in the base,
>> - detach it from GDB in pkgsrc,
>> - send upstream a patch removing it from GDB,
>> - import libpthread_dbg(3) to pkgsrc for those who still might depend
>> on it,
>> - remove it from the base distribution.
>>
>> The current function to iterate over threads is realizable with
>> ptrace(2) and the PT_LWPINFO operation.
>>
>> In the past libpthread_dbg was a part of the FreeBSD distribution but it
>> was removed from there long time ago.
>
> Can you provide a patch that makes gdb not use it first?
>
> christos

I checked lang/gdb and nbsd-thread.c is absent there, it's also absent
in upstream; therefore the patch will be limited to the local copy.

http://netbsd.org/~kamil/patch-00027-pthread_dbg-detach-from-base-gdb.txt

I've checked and there are no (local to) me regressions.

GDB on NetBSD has a lot of room for improvement.