Re: find(1) and group/user handling

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016, David Holland wrote:

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 05:19:54PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 08:10:27PM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
>  > In my opinion, the -user and -group primaries should work strictly with
>  > _names_, and _never_ fallback to {u,g}id values;  we could easily add
>  > new primaries -uid and -gid to search for the numeric values.  However,
>  > this would make find(1) incompatible with existing versions.
>  >
>  > Comments?
>
> I agree; ambiguating what things do is usually not a good idea,
> because eventually the result is that it does something you don't
> expect and then you have to figure out both what it thought you meant
> and what it did.
> [...]

For now though I've fixed it so -user and -group at least behave the
same way.

Thanks!

Your earlier comments about user names not being allowed to start with a plus or minus were informative. But what about group names? Can they legally start with plus/minus? :)

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |