Re: Web UI for NPF as a GSoC project

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 04:34:09PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> This looks good, but I am wondering if it is not going to be easier
> and better for you to use one of the existing web-ui frameworks so
> you can have more time to spend on functionality.
>
> christos

Qualifying again that I'm not familiar with most options...

If you mean adapting pfSense (or one of its forks, or a similar project):

I generally think adapting pfSense or a fork is one of the best options,
as it gives us access to its extensions.

However, many of those tools are written in PHP, and whoever wrote the
project explicitly mentioned his dislike of the language.

Viewing the alternatives I've also noted none of them seem mobile
friendly right now, which is something that is easier to add on a
brand new design.

If you mean choosing another language to get better tools:

I'm not too picky about Lua, I just figured it's a good choice for being
in base. I'll check out what's the tool gain from picking one of the
other languages.

To be sure, my options are (given portability concerns): python, perl
and lua, correct?

Thanks for responding!