Re: nsswitch

> There's an unfortunate tendency for new package submissions to sit
> around, regardless of what they're about...
Yes, but I thought that if anyone would seriously be using nss_ldap, he
would run into FreeRADIUS crashing as soon as it uses LDAP, sshd crashing
as soon as it uses PAM etc. He would then probably look for nslcd in pkgsrc,
see it's missing, think about how hard it would be to port and then realize
someone else has already done that two years earlier.

> I imagine there's no chance of a nsswitch plugin .so file working if
> it uses pkgsrc openssl and base openssl is a different version.
Yes, that's exactly what drove me mad. You have a breakpoint on ldap_foo,
your code runs into that function without hitting the breakpoint. Well,
you have two copies of that function, one from libldap and another from
libldap_r...

> if you can't look up passwords you can't su to restart the daemon.
Well, you can leave (a backup version of) the files code in libc.

EF> I think to remember IRIX using an elegant solution with a
EF> pseudo-filesystem, but the drawback would be how to add custom
EF> sources to it.
DH> Not sure I follow how this would be set up: libc reads from (e.g.)
DH> /nsswitch/passwd, and /nsswitch is a virtual fs whose usermode driver
DH> knows how to e.g. do NIS?
I don't remember. I dimly recall you may have registered yourself at
/nss/passwd/nis and /nss/passwd would merge all the /nss/passwd/* sources.