Understanding a source code file

Hello!
Hoping this is the right section for my question. I would like to correctly understand the contents of a simple source file: it is banner.c (/src/games/banner), the version contained in

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/games/banner/banner.c?rev=1.21&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=MAIN

It is the source code of a very simple program, as you know.
In the first lines, there are two "static const int" arrays declared: it seems to be a mapping. I can't also understand the format of the "Table of stuff to print" between the two arrays.
First of all, what does this part mean?
I have never analyzed a NetBSD kernel or something similar. Supposing that I know the basics of the C language, is there a standard way to proceed in the analysis of such source files? (I didn't find useful sites talking about this topic)
Thank you,

Rocky