Re: A problem running LaTeX from a daemon

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 05:45:49PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
> I have a daemon that provides a webservice (using FastCGI behind a lighttpd
> server) on NetBSD 5.0.  It produces PDF documents by creating a .tex file,
> then running LaTeX, dvips, and ps2pdf on it.
>
> The  exact sequence of command is:
>
> latex <filename> >/dev/null
> latex <filename> >/dev/null
> dvips  -Ppdf -G0 <filename>.dvi >/dev/null 2>&1
> ps2pdf  <filename>.ps >/dev/null
>
> The daemon is started with a script in /etc/rc.d.
>
> Now my problem is, when this sequence of commands is run from
> the daemon which was started a system boot time, it does not work.
> It creates a PDF (so ps2pdf does run), but it is empty.  So 'latex'
> did not run or did not produce any dvi file.

Hm. You say ps2pdf runs, so the script (or well, the daemon) has a
writable current working directory? In this case, what does the
<filename>.log say?

(I've had such an effect with a script that ran before /var or /usr
was mounted..  but I think this can be ruled out?)

Regards,
        -is