A problem running LaTeX from a daemon

I have a daemon that provides a webservice (using FastCGI behind a lighttpd
server) on NetBSD 5.0.  It produces PDF documents by creating a .tex file, then
running LaTeX, dvips, and ps2pdf on it.

The  exact sequence of command is:

latex <filename> >/dev/null
latex <filename> >/dev/null
dvips  -Ppdf -G0 <filename>.dvi >/dev/null 2>&1
ps2pdf  <filename>.ps >/dev/null

The daemon is started with a script in /etc/rc.d.

Now my problem is, when this sequence of commands is run from the daemon which
was started a system boot time, it does not work.  It creates a PDF (so ps2pdf
does run), but it is empty.  So 'latex' did not run or did not produce any dvi
file.

If I, however, log in to the machine as root and restart the daemon
(/etc/rc.d/<name> restart), it works as expected, creates and delivers the PDF.

Right now, I am a bit clueless as which could cause this.  Lack of a
controlling tty when started during boot?

Any hints would be appreciated...

- Marc