Re: Create a file with history in sh

Hello!
I am quite new with this mailing-list.
During the installation of NetBSD, I choose /bin/sh as the default root and
user shell.
In the users' home directories there are not files like .sh_history or similar and no
"history-like" files are updated when I log in or log out. But I would like to
keep trace of all the commands typed in the terminal, the last 100 or 1000, and not only
the ones typed in the current login session, accessible with the up arrow.
Reading the sh manual I didn't find the possibility to create a permanent file
with history like in bash or ksh.
Is it true or there exist some possibility to do this? Or where I can look for
this option?

On NetBSD /bin/sh is a very basic shell (by intention), and it doesn't
have this feature.

you could use /bin/ksh instead, which does have this feature, or /bin/csh

Or pkgsrc/shells/tcsh

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |