Create a file with history in sh

Hello!
I am quite new with this mailing-list.
During the installation of NetBSD, I choose /bin/sh as the default root and
user shell.
In the users' home directories there are not files like .sh_history or similar
and no "history-like" files are updated when I log in or log out. But I would
like to keep trace of all the commands typed in the terminal, the last 100 or
1000, and not only the ones typed in the current login session, accessible with
the up arrow.
Reading the sh manual I didn't find the possibility to create a permanent file
with history like in bash or ksh.
Is it true or there exist some possibility to do this? Or where I can look for
this option?
With Google I didn't find more.
This seemed the best place for my question, but please give me any suggestion
if I am someway wrong.
Thank you!

Rocky