Re: Small tip proposal for headless systems boot resiliency

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:14:29AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

> Seems like a useful solution for some cases to me.  And probably not even all
> that hard (though whether or not it is productive would depend upon how the
> sshd is configured, and whether or not at least one non-root user's .ssh/*
> files were available.)

Yes, I think so too.  Dare I say it but the Solaris developers have done
just this with SMF, it tries to bring up as much of the system as
possible - if you get sshd then, bargain, you can get in and fix the
other faults remotely.  An all or nothing approach may preclude this.
As long as the flags are optional then all it is doing is giving the
administrator the traditional UNIX
shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-if-you-want-to option that we are used to but
providing the ability to get a machine up far enough to permit remote
administration.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com