Re: in which we present an ugly hack to make sys/queue.h CIRCLEQ work

On Sun 24 Nov 2013 at 11:06:45 +0100, Anthony Mallet wrote:
> This may help, although it is still a bit obscure to me:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12666146/can-uint8-t-be-a-non-character-type
>
> In practice, is there any real chance that uint8_t is not typedef'ed to a char
> on NetBSD?

In the mythical PDP-10 port this might be the case.

The PDP-10 doesn't have a fixed character type as such defined by the
programming model, but it does have pointers to "bytes" which may be any
number of bits wide (this width is included in the pointer: see
http://pdp10.nocrew.org/docs/instruction-set/Byte.html ).

For a compiler it might be convenient to say that 'char' is 9 bits (then
4 fit in a word) or 6 bits (6 will fit), but it can also provide 8-bit
quantities in case you really want them and don't mind the 4 wasted bits
when they are packed in a word (which is 36 bits).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'