Re: /etc/rc.d/ntpdate needs named

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 15:07:47 -0800, Harry Waddell writes:
>As with many services, /etc/rc.d/ntpdate needs named if it's
>configuration uses servers that need to be resolved,

Which is the case in the standard setup - which is good as previously
noted.

>but strictly speaking, named is NOT required.

It is only not required if
1/ ntp.conf contains IP's
2/ rc.conf contains IP's in ntpdate_hosts
3/ etc/hosts can resolve the names

>I don't like hacking /etc/rc.d/files themselves because it's easy for
>local mods to get lost as things get upgraded, etc...

I have no problem changing them if it can be done so correctly.
As noted there is a circular dependency which is not immediately
obvious.

>It's fairly common that most users will either start their local nameserver ho
>sts,

This *is* my name server host ;-)

>and other essential services, before starting regular systems OR use the dns
>server of their hosting or service provider. ( perhaps only at the end of the
>nameserver list in resolv.conf to provide failover )

Yes that is a potential workaround, but being able to get named started
earlier would be better.

>I would definately not use an IP address of some ntp.org pool servers.
>Instead, I'd use my local time server, which I started first, OR one
>that belonged my hosting provider or ISP.

Again, tricky if you have one machine that is *the* main server.