Re: Lua in-kernel (lbuf library)

Am 16.10.13 19:18, schrieb Mouse:
>>> [...0-origin vs 1-origin arrays...]
>> It is hard to tell what is the least astonishing here.
>
> Well, least astonishing to whom, is really the question, it seems to

That is not a question.  Least astonishing to Lua programmers, of course.

C coders like you are certainly not the target audience of Lua in
NetBSD.  Lua is there to make it easy to explore NetBSD from a scripting
environment, amongst other uses.

> me.  Certainly I, as a C coder with no Lua experience, would find
> 0-origin arrays less astonishing.  Someone with the converse experience
> would presumably have the opposite reaction.
>
>> You propose Lua as a language embedded into C rather than separate
>> one.  I'd say that Lua designers made wrong decision here.
>
> Only if you think of Lua as being designed for embedding in C.  It's
> just as coherent to think of the mistake as being trying to wed a
> language with 1-origin arrays with a language with 0-origin arraay.

Lua has in fact been designed to be embedded.  That is what it is all
about.  That is why Lua is a library only.