Re: /etc/rc.d/ as a bunch of symlinks

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 10:21:11PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 10:34:54AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > I think we should move the existing rc.d scripts to somewhere else and
> > then use symlinks to manage rc.d/
>
> For me it was always strange that the rc.d scripts are considered
> configuration files. As such I would prefer to move them to
> /libexec/rc.d or whatever and just have symlinks in /etc/rc.d. That
> would cover the various cases of local modifications -- just make sure
> that the symlink is replaced with your own file.

FWIW, my solution has been to create in /etc, along with /etc/rc.d/,
the directories /etc/rc.d.pkgsrc/ and /etc/rc.d.local/
(the suffixed names are conforming to the /etc/rc.local type suffix
names).

One can then simply add in /etc/rc for the invocation of rcorder the
supplementary directories. If a service in rc.d has to be replaced with
another one, it suffices to give a slightly different name to the script
(alternatively, rcorder could be made to first compare the basenames of
the files before sorting, eliminating duplicates and taking the order of
the directories given to be the order of precedence).

Linux/Debian is using a symlink thing with start and stop gazwork. I do
frankly prefer the BSD way with a file saying simply YES or NO.
                      http://www.kergis.com/
              http://www.renaissance-francaise.fr/