Re: Having an integrated system update mechanism

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:19:51AM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:

> First, I admit that I did not look closely at either solution, so I
> will not comment on the technical fitness or non-fitness of either.

Yes, you haven't looked...

> I also do think that NetBSD should have an included update mechanism
> that works nicely and is well tested.  Imo, it should be possible to
> reboot into a new kernel, install a new system, reboot, update binary
> packages, all automated an unattended, with a report via email if
> thinks went ok or not.

Well, part of what Julian has done is provide for you to automatically
replicate a running system to different partitions, update that and then
reboot to the updated system.  Julian called this a "hard" update vs the
"soft" which just copies the updated files.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com