Re: "dynamic" fstab (Aleksej Saushev) writes:

> (Michael van Elst) writes:

>> (Martin Husemann) writes:
>>>I agree - there should be a UUID= equivalent to NAME=.
>> Not all disk partitions have a UUID. I also do not think that
>> UUIDs are particularly userfriendly. If UUIDs are meant to
>> provide a workaround for name conflicts, I rather suggest
>> that such conflicts should be resolved automatically by
>> generating new names possibly derived from the original
>> one.

>Even less disk partitions have unique "NAME".

Interesting enough, almost all do unless you explicitely set
them to something identical. And every disk we currently support
that has something like a UUID will have exactly that as a NAME.

The only conflicting scenario I am aware of are Apple users
that regularly name their partitions all alike and who then share
the partition with NetBSD.

                                Michael van Elst