Re: "dynamic" fstab

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:30:10PM +0100, rudolf wrote:
> Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> >The problem is that human-generated labels have a lot more chances to clash
> >than machine-generated UUIDs.
>
> IIUC, you can use a machine-generated UUID as a NAME - it's up to you,
> what NAME you choose.

A system ought to object if it sees the same UUID (or rather non-UUID)
on two disks at the same time. Probably not letting you mount anything
from the non-boot media from the startup scripts.

The 'fun' starts when you do a physical disk clone - not that uncommon.
All the RPI images are likely to be physical clones.

Using the disk 'serial number' (from ATA identify) probably isn't a
good idea - I've see multiple CF cards with the same number, and I've
no reason to believe anything newer is any better.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost