re: 6.0_RC1 Xorg failure w/ Radeon X3000 card

> I've upgraded my ${DAYJOB} workstation from 6.0_BETA2 to 6.0_RC1 this
> morning at work, and I had to fallback to 6.0_BETA2 as Xorg fails badly.
> I'll try to be as precise as I can but I have no error log to show as
> Xorg (from Xorg.0.log) seems happy and no errors of any kind are raised.
>
> The workstation has the following graphic card:
>
> RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics" (ChipID = 0x9616)
>
> It has DRI/DRM and AIGLX enabled:
>
> info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
> info: [drm] Loading RS780 Microcode
> info: [drm] Resetting GPU
> info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
> radeondrm0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 18
>
> [    34.291] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
> [    34.291] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
> [    34.291] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_texture_from_pixmap with driver
> support
> [    34.301] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized
> /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/dri/r600_dri.so
> [    34.301] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
>

> This card showed some artifacts before but it never was that bad, with
> RC1, xfce hangs forever; more interesting, twm draws a black backgroud
> and everytime you pop the menu it will stay drawn in the background.
> When using RC1's, switching to the non-graphical console using
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 is very slow and sometimes don't even work.
> xdm doesn't draw the whole "NetBSD" login box, the input area works but
> is not displayed.
>
> I tried many xorg.conf options / combinations, nothing helps.
>
> Note that I use this station for work, so I won't be able to make a lot of
> tests with it.
>
> Hints? This is worth a PR I guess?

yeah, a PR seems best.

is this i386 or amd64?  i386 with some older cards is known
to fail on some systems, but it seemed repeatable and nothing
has really changed in this code AFAIK.

you could try turning off DRM.  it is probably at fault here.
you can do that in xorg.conf or just don't load the driver.

.mrg.