Re: Importing Kyua into NetBSD

Le 01/09/12 22:25, Julio Merino a écrit :
Hello,

I would like to propose the replacement of atf-run and atf-report in
the base system with Kyua (which, simply put, is "ATF v2") well early
into the development of NetBSD 7.x so that there is plenty of time to
flesh out any issues.  Because this plan requires some background
information, and because it is composed of multiple steps that deserve
significant explanation, I have written everything down in this wiki
page:

     http://wiki.NetBSD.org/kyua/import/

I'll consider this page to be the "living status document" for this
project, and will therefore assimilate any results of this thread into
the text.  I'll also keep it up to date with any progress made.

So, let's start the discussion.  Could you please take a look at the
plan and provide feedback?

Thank you!

PS: Let's give 2 weeks of time for this initial discussion as the
document says (but of course will extend the period if it proves to be
necessary).

FWIW the steps look fine to me, however:

1) I would provide the two knobs (MKATF and MKKYUA) for builds:
- saves up build time if required, and allow anyone to build only on or the other - make the transition a bit smoother if you want to deprecate ATF. Having KYUA protected with a MKATF knob is somewhat disturbing (at least to me :) )

2) Speaking about the "user validation period": what about tracking regressions between an ATF run and a KYUA run and comparing results?

ATF uses XML coupled with xsltproc to generate an HTML report, while kyua outputs HTML directly. What would be the best way to validate that no regression happened after an adjustment? Comparing HTML outputs "visually"? Parsing the ATF db and KYUA sqlite db manually? Something else?

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost