Re: individual software releases for third parties

 >>> One more example of how NetBSD tools may become portable without
 >>> autotools.
 >>
 >> I don't see the point of avoiding autotools - {cross,} compiling on
 >> a variety of architectures is precisely what it is designed to do.

> These days, the way I see autotools is as a mechanism to provide a
> well-known, relatively sane build environment to users and packagers.
> Like it or not, it has become the de facto build system

Yes, the sad fact.

> There are tons of little details that you need to implement to provide
> a sane build environment, and most of these "lightweight and/or
> nih-syndrome replacements" fail in one way or another.

I mentioned my mk-c in this list because it is based on NetBSD make and
NetBSD mk files. It is conceptually very close to NetBSD build
system. So, I'd prefer to listen for _technical_ arguments If someone
have time to play with it or at least to read a manual page.

My own arguments against it:
- nobody outside NetBSD knows what is bmake.
- bmake is _not_ packaged by major Linux distributions.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.