Re: cannot compile <future> with gcc 4.6

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:37:15 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:45:40AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > On NetBSD 5.0.2 I cannot instantiate the new C++11 "future" class.
> > The header file <future> guards the definition with
> > _GLIBCXX_HAS_GTHREADS, and that symbol is not defined.
>
> It is not defined because we lack a number of timed pthread
> primitives. At least one of those (CV) is tricky.

Thanks for the explanation, Joerg.

What most needs fixing?   I've been using NetBSD for 10 years and I'm
not particularly eager to throw it over just because Linux has shinier
new threads.  The project I'm working on needs C++11, a language whose
standard library is shot though with holes on NetBSD.  I'm being forced
either to help my ailing OS or to join the Linux parade.

I'd like to at least understand the scope of the problem and maybe take
a whack at it.  Is it just a matter of time, or is there some
controversy or technical stone wall?

--jkl