Re: asynchronous make(1), anyone?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:11:04AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 05:00:19AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > IDEs have a substantially greater ability to reason about what's
> > happening. (Especially the ones where you have a 'project' instead of
> > makefiles.)
>
> I realy don't understand what problem we are trying to solve here.
> Just bind "save all open documents and invoke make" to whatever key combo
> you like and you are done. No ponies, no magic. You might need a "project"
> specific hook for the "invoke make" part.

What if there isn't a save key combination?

> Auto-figuring it out from the filesystem changes seems like a backward
> aproach to me.

Figuring it out from the filesystem is best because the editor is not
the only agent who may modify your sources.  For example, source control
software will make changes.  One may cp/ln/mv a source file.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981