Re: termcap(5)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
I like capfile(5) as a man page name.

I tended to think that, too. However, we would have to patch all external programs referring to termcap-the-format via "termcap(5)", too;

So change them.

Btw, when evaluating files-to-patch, for ->terminfo(5) vs. ->capfile/newtermcap(5), I found a third case - referring to a termcap entry in another OS's /etc/termcap via "termcap(5)".

I haven't yet decided what do do with that one.

Since our terminfo implementation still supports termcap files, perhaps we should have both a capfile(5) to describe the generic format and point to cgetent(3), and a termcap(5) to describe the termcap-specific features and property names, or at least to act a pointer to such a description in terminfo(5).

--apb (Alan Barrett)