Re: Importing the apropos GSoC code and switching to mandoc(1) by default

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 10:26:57PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2012, Alan Barrett wrote:
> >On Thu, 02 Feb 2012, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> >>attached is the new apropos created by Abhinav Upadhyay during
> >>last year's Summer of Code. I've added a small whatis(1)
> >>implementation to round it up. This should be a functional
> >>replacement for apropos(1) and whatis(1). It obsoletes
> >>makewhatis(8).
> >
> >I would like this to be added to the base system.
>
> Some of the names seem to be too generic.  For example, init_db,
> close_db, and run_query, should probably have "apropos_" prefixed to
> their names.

I'm aware of that. For now, I consider them internal code. There is some
refactoring still left to do (e.g. moving the database creation
completely into makemandb), but that can be done in-tree as well.
I expect only one other user to be added later, which is a CGI frontend.
In short, it isn't a library for now, so it shouldn't hurt.

Joerg