Re: make: should -j affect cwd?

> It seems make(1) does or does not retain the effect of cd(1) between
> commands depending on whether or not the -j option is used.  This
> behavior is not documented.  Is it expected?

It's not _entirely_ undocumented, as mentioned elsewhere in this
thread.

Expected?  That depends on "by whom?", of course.  If I'd tripped over
it yesterday (ie, before reading this thread), I would have been
surprised by it - might even have filed a PR if I hadn't noticed what
little documentation exists.

I consider it a bug.  Depending on how I squint my mind, exactly what
the bug is changes; my own preference is to say the bug is that -j does
not preserve the historical "one shell per line" semantics....

\ / Ribbon Campaign