Re: Generically running rc scripts

Hi,

> > > The FreeBSD service shell script looks like it would be mostly
> > > portable except for the jails and $local_startup variable.
> > attached is the service script that fits for NetBSD, with no further
> > modifications were made to the copyright statement or rcs.
> >
> > If you don't have any objections, please commit it or tell me what to do
> > with it (include it manually in the program?).
>
> Not that I object, but I don't understand what advantages such a wrapper
> would provide...  Also, would the direct rc.d scripts invokation
> eventually be deprecated/discouraged because of a services wrapper (as
> is the case on Ubuntu where I get an annoying warning everytime I
> invoke an init.d script directly)?
I'm not the one to answer the latter one, and I don't believe anybody wants
to go this way.

About the former matter: It's good  for omitting redundant code for parsing
rc_directories, rcvar and name. If you want to restart a service currently,
you have to parse rc.conf and in some cases also all rc scripts manually for
their names and rcvar to get the right one.
Especially in C this will become much more than the appr. 100 lines of the
script.
This tool simplifies that issue to a single call.

If you think this is unnecessary, I will pack that script simply together
with the software.

Regards, Julian