Re: Generically running rc scripts

Hi,

> >> I'm just editing a small program that makes use of FreeBSD's service(8):
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=service&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
> >>
> >> I wonder: Is there such a generic way in NetBSD for restarting services,
> >> too? Or should I just take scripts from /etc/rc.d (as, in opposition to
> >> FreeBSD, NetBSD does not have a second rc.d directory)?
> >
> > There may be additional rc.d directories.
> >
> > See "man rc.conf" for "rc_directories". (I am not sure why not used for
> > shutdown though.)
> >
> > There was discussion on adding an service type script (one idea was
> > called "rcadmin"), but I don't think it ever happened. See the long
> > "admin script for ipfilter" thread at
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2006/12/oindex.html
> > and
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2007/01/oindex.html
> >

> The FreeBSD service shell script looks like it would be mostly
> portable except for the jails and $local_startup variable.
I can't read of the reason why it wasn't imported in that thread, though I
didn't read it that exactly.

So, should I parse rc.conf myself or wait for such a script being committed?
I like the FreeBSD way more than having to do that myself, and I think the
functionality of the script service(8) is very sane (without having looked at
the code).

From Matthew Mondor:
> Generally  /etc/rc.d/foo restart  indeed; I'm not very familiar with
> FreeBSD lately so am not sure if it compares to its second rc.d
> directory, but there can also be /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/
But this directory is rather meant for copying files to /etc/rc.d, isn't it?
If not, the name is really misguiding (and it's also stated that way in the
guide).

Regards, Julian